  • Subject: Re: RPG on NT & Unix ??
  • From: John P Carr <jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:46:50 -0500

>John - you might like to ask the person who sent you the clip for a web
>reference!
>I have checked with Yahoo (nothing) and Alta Vista - this gave me hundreds
of
>religious and croosword hits, plus one reference to Pioneer Consulting
which
>looks good but the URL is dead and a search for Pioreer turns up nothing.

Sorry all;

It was also in the www.Midrangecomputing.com 's Monday Morning Update
for Nov. 22.

The link that they had was www.cross-works.com

See below.

John Carr
CrossWorks Inks Deal with SCO for AS/400 Migration

CrossWorks Inc., which provides an AS/400 migration environment similar to
those provided
 by California Software Products and Unibol, has announced that it has
signed a deal with
software vendor The Santa Cruz Operation, the largest UNIX vendor in terms
of annual
shipments, to support its Cross/400 suite of RPG hosting tools on SCO's
flagship
 UnixWare 7.0 operating system. Cross/400 is already available on SCO's
OpenServer 5.0,
a low-end UNIX implementation aimed at the small and medium business turnkey
application
market. Cross/400 supports IBM's AIX, Sun Microsystems' Solaris, and
 Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX UNIX variants, as well as Microsoft's Windows NT.

     CrossWorks, which changed its name from Pioneer Software Development in
September,
 was founded in Minneapolis in 1996 just a stone's throw from the AS/400's
Rochester
stomping grounds. Like Unibol, CrossWorks is aiming to help AS/400
application
developers get into the UNIX and, more importantly, Windows NT application
markets without forcing them to learn C++ or other programming languages.
With Cross/400, applications are simply rehosted in a pseudo-OS/400
environment on the UNIX or NT server that makes the RPG applications think
they are talking to OS/400 and DB2/400 even though they are running on
non-AS/400 hardware and software. Obviously, software developers can't
move over source code because of the differences between AS/400 hardware
and the boxes UNIX and PC servers run on, but being able to recompile and
rehost AS/400 source applications without making modifications certainly
makes
the job easier than recoding in C++, ActiveX, or Java. The main benefit is
that
independent software vendors  (ISVs) can continue to tweak their RPG
programs,
as they always did for the AS/400, and then run the changed code through
Cross/400 to generate the UNIX and NT versions of their applications.
(The process is a little more complex, but you get the idea.)

     The SCO deal is important for CrossWorks because UnixWare 7.0 is a
more rugged and scalable UNIX implementation than OpenServer and, therefore,

more appropriate for midrange shops that need to support hundreds or
thousands of users. Going forward, CrossWorks and SCO will undoubtedly
be working together to offer support of AS/400 RPG programs on Monterey/64,
the 64-bit UNIX variant that IBM and SCO are creating to run on Intel's
forthcoming
Itanium (a.k.a. Merced) servers due in the second half of 2000.

The thousands of AS/400 ISVs that missed the chance to port their code to
UNIX and NT during the 32-bit PC server generation are probably not going
to want to miss it the second time around with 64-bit hardware and operating

systems. Tools like Cross/400 will give these ISVs a chance to get in the
game
from the get-go if SCO, IBM, and CrossWorks can figure out a way to work
together.

For more information, check out

www.cross-works.com.