  • Subject: Re: [Re: RPGILE V4.3 Gotcha]
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:09:54 -0700

>From TFM: IBM AS/400 ILE/RPG 400 Referance

EVAL (Evaluate expression)
Code    Factor 1         Factor 2
EVAL   Blank.            Assignment Statement

The EVAL operation code evaluates an assignment statement of the form
result = expression.  The expression is evaluated and the result placed in
result.
Therefore, result cannot be a literal or constant but must be a field name,
array
name, array element, data structure, data structure subfield, or a string using
the
%SUBST builtin function.  The expression may yield any of the RPG data types.
The type of the expression must be the same as the type of the result.  A
character
or graphic result will be left justified and padded with blanks or truncated as
required.

If the result represents an unindexed array or an array specified as array(*),
the
value of the expression is assigned to each element o the result, according to
the
rules described in the array chapter.  Otherwise, the expression is evaluated
once
and the value is placed into each element of the array or sub-array.  For
numeric
expressions, the half-adjust operation code extender is allowed.  The rules for
half

adjusting are equivalent to those for the arithmetic operations.

Then some examples follow.

Oh, i guess it's the wrong FM

This says no difference in computation between the EVAL format and the MULT
or DIV formats.  I guess we're supposed to go though and find out which manual
it is in?

Do you have any idea how many manuals there are?  How many manuals I have
already read for other things?

If the mind set of IBM and the RPG developers is, we are going to do things the
way we want to do them, if you want to know how we decided to do them then
you're going to have to RTFM, RPG is truly going to die.

I do not have time to read the 170 manuals on the AS/400 that I can find.

Who has read every single one of the manuals?

And although people should read the manuals, common sense needs to be
an important part of the equation too.

Regards,

Jim Langston