  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: "extract" command enhancement (subfiles and BIFs)
  • From: "Kahn, David [JNJFR]" <DKahn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:40:22 +0200

Dan,

SFLSIZ>SFLPAG simplifies scrolling, it's efficient because it avoids having
constantly to re-read database records and it simplifies the processing of
pending options - with the single exception I mentioned.

In practice it's relatively rare for a user to "position to", make
selections, then roll down. It does happen, but not often. I've never had a
user complain about lost options or even report the bug. But I know it's
there and I don't like it. As I said before BRMS has this bug and I've never
seen anyone else refer to it.

User indexes are one of several possible workarounds for the bug, but I
would consider their use in this context a clear violation of the KISS
principle.

They're is a much simpler workaround, actually. This is to make the
"position to" field a "both" field, leave the "positioned to" value in it,
and leave roll down disabled. To see the previous records the user has to
clear the field and refresh the subfile. This is so awful that I prefer to
live with the bug.

I think this whole debate confirms that while subfiles are great, they're
not as easy to program for as they should be.

Dave Kahn
Johnson & Johnson International (Ethicon) France
Phone : +33 1 55 00 3180
Email :  dkahn1@jnjfr.jnj.com (work)
           dkahn@cix.co.uk      (home)