  • Subject: Re[2]: "extract" command enhancement(subfiles and BIFs)
  • From: Norman.Rae@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:42:57 -0700

     Sorry cant agree Joel

     I can code a functioning subfile very quickly.  Yes I have memorized
     keywords (just like I memorized RPG operation codes years ago and will
     now have to memorize %SUBDTZ!!!).
     And yes I have to look them up sometimes (occasionally I have a brain
     freeze and have to look up the MOVE op code too!).  But what's wrong
     with that? I have a dictionary on my desk so I can look up English!

     And yes I use SDA!  What's wrong with that?  I use SEU and PDM too!
     If there is a tool, I use it!

     Norman

Author:  RPG400-L@midrange.com (Joel Fritz <JFritz@sharperimage.com>) at MCKHBOC
Date:    09/21/1999 10:43 AM

Dan:

Don't give up on procedures.  Think of them as programs that do one thing
and accept parameters.  Once you get the definition and declaration
(prototype and interface) syntax down it's no big deal.

I definitely agree with you and Booth about subfiles.  The whole display
file sewer is based on memorizing arbitrary arcane reserved words.   Seems
like a verb to do something like clear the subfile would make more sense
than setting on an indicator and writing to the control record, though.

How many people out there use more than ten or so display file keywords?
Of those, how many can use most of them without looking them up?
How many can use them in SEU rather than SDA?

\>