  • Subject: Re: News400 RPG Source newsletter
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 Sep 1999 10:58:44 -0500

Dan,
     I agree with you wholeheartedly about "The RPG Source", and I
also feel that theres much of the same thing in other areas of
these magazines...

In order to get useful information from a magazine, I should NOT
have to buy more magazines.  Heck, half of News/400 is editorials
about what people think IBM should do, or what we should be doing
with our AS/400's, or how we should be approaching the IT world.

Usually, these are written by people who are largely clueless.
I probably should not name names, however, since it wouldn't be
too hard for these comments to get back to these people :)  There
are several people on the staff of both News/400 and MC that really
don't live in the real world.  Yet they state things that are just
their opinions as if they are truths being passed on by sages.

I say, get rid of this CRAP, and put useful programming examples and
techniques in the damned magazines!  I guess the worst thing is that
all these little newsletters actually sell.   And the magazines still
sell.  If it makes money, its not going to change...

I did, for a time, subscribe to The RPG Source.   I think it was for
a year, or 6-months, or whatever time period you get that newsletter
for with a standard subscription.

There were a number of examples of using APIs, but it seemed that I
already knew how to use the ones they did examples of, so they werent
useful to me.  I thought that there should've been more different
things in each issue for the price I paid.

All-in-all, I get far more useful information from this mailing list
and comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc newsgroup than I do from all of the
combined magazines.   And, of course, the mailing list and newsgroup
are free.

So, I cancelled "The RPG Source".