  • Subject: RE: More on Call or Bound Call
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:10:11 -0400

You've heard my foaming at the mouth before, but I feel that THE biggest
reason to go to RPG IV is local variables.  To be able to put a "function"
like "parse last name/first name from a combined field" into a
parameter-driven procedure means that you can write, test and debug that
procedure once and reuse it forever!  RPG/400's "global only" variables make
that re-use difficult.  You'd have to copy the code from the working
program, make sure the variable names and indicators don't clash with the
new program's and test and debug all over again.  Either that, or write it
as a separate program and pay the performance penalty.

I've said it before, but as long as I'm on my soapbox, I'll say it again:
RPG IV is not hard.  Don't focus on the opcodes, bifs, etc.  It's not about
the opcodes, it's about the way you use them.  It's the concepts you can
implement now that we have a real language!

Buck Calabro
Billing Concepts Albany, NY