I need help figuring out why this doesn't work the way I think it should....

D  InPtr          s               *   inz(%addr(*in))
 *
D  SomeDs         ds                  Based(InPtr)
D   Indcat03                      n   overlay(SomeDs:03)
D   Indcat05                      n   overlay(SomeDs:05)
D   Indcat10                      n   overlay(SomeDs:10)
D   Indcat11                      n   overlay(SomeDs:11)
D   Indcat12                      n   overlay(SomeDs:12)
 *
C                   Eval      *In02     = *Off
C                   If        SomeDs = *Off
???-- at this statement, the value of SomeDS is = *off, which I agree with.

But if I add...
C                   Eval      *In02     = *On
C                   If        SomeDs = *Off
???-- at this statement, the value of SomeDS is NOT EQ to *off

I guess what i'm not understanding is this, why would setting on *in02
effect the value of the SomeDS, since *in02 is not part of the subfield? or
is it?
If it is part of the subfiled, what would I need to do to only check the
subfileds that I have defined...

Keep in mind, that when I used the debugger, to eval the SomeDs it always
showed me '0' for all it's components.

thanks,  tim