  • Subject: Re: CF - One last question
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:04:12 GMT

John,

>BTW,  on the
>CF    UPDATE CHAIN    READ
>

>How do you know which I'm doing ?  CHAINing to file READ using keylist
>UPDATE,
>or UPDATING file CHAIN  thru data structure  READ  ??

I thought Hans said the CF specs required the opcode to be first,
except where the forum had asked to make the EVAL and CALLP opcodes
optional.

I checked my archives, and last May 11, when Hans pre-announced <g>
the CF specs, he said:

>The general idea is to code F in position 7, blank in position 8,
>and the free-form statement in positions 9-80.  Start with the
>opcode and extenders, followed either by the free-form expression
>(for the current expression calcs) or by the Factor 1, Factor 2,
>and Result Field operands (for the current fixed-form opcodes).

So, it would be an UPDATE operation to filename CHAIN using data
structure READ, assuming the CF syntax still calls for the result
field to come after factor2.

In the same message, Hans also said:

>This doesn't mean we're not still futzing about with certain
>design issues, though, so I don't want to show any substantial
>example of what the RPG code looks like.

There are so many opcodes with an optional factor1 and/or factor2 that
I have no doubt in Toronto's ability to have considered the mutations.

When they think they have a plausible design spec, maybe Hans can post
a summary for us to try and shoot holes in.

Doug