  • Subject: Re: RPG IV and CF-spec "keep it IBM" (ILE Pgm MAKE)
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Jul 1999 18:22:32 -0500

"John Taylor" <john.taylor@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Now, the program will be built the same way each time.
>
> The module compilation is a different story, although it is getting
>  better
> with the addition of the new keywords on the H-spec. I'm at V4R4 now
>  and
> virtually every CRTRPGMOD parameter that I need can now be specified
>  in the
> H-spec.
>
> Again, this is not the ideal situation. But it does make the problem
> manageable enough to allow me to use ILE effectively.

True, but one advantage to a "make" utility is that it could be set
up to also recompile the modules.  make will only recompile them if
the source has changed since the module was last compiled, so you'd
simply put commands in the Makefile that created all of the modules,
and it'd determine whether to rebuild them...

This really makes a big difference when you've got a lot of modules
that all need to be bound into a program.  Saves a lot of time
compiling stuff that didn't change :)

At any rate, John, I think you see my point.  Sure there are ways
to work around it, but I think the extra difficulting in maintaining
RPG IV is the reason that IT managers are hesitant about moving
from RPG III to RPG IV.  --NOT-- because of the differences of the
RPG w/CF Spec vs. RPG IV, vs RPG III.

> > Another problem, something that scares people away, is the
>  terminology
> > I mean, MY GOD, on every PC system you build "object files" that a
> > "Linked" into a program.
>
> Is there really such a big difference?
>
> object file = module
> linking = binding
> exe file = program
> link library = service program

Yes, I understand what they are, John.  However, what was the point
behind using different terminology?  No, this isn't a big huge deal,
but its irritated me for a long time :)