  • Subject: Re: Null indicator with FETCH for N ROWS WAS: SQL pre-compiler
  • From: "Nelson C. Smith" <ncsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:31:48 -0400

Wow!  That's exactly what I'm trying to do, Buck.  But I can't get the
RtnNullRaw DS past the precompiler.  I keep getting the dreaded SQL5011
error.  Did you ever get this error?  It occurs right on the Fetch statement
in the precompiler.  When I star-out the null-capable fields and thus the
need for the indicator host variable, the procedure works fine.

I have tried defining the DS  the way you show it as well as with 4B 0
elements.  And as both an array and as individual fields.  If the way you
have it defined below works, then the IBM manuals (as well as Paul Conte and
several other SQL writers) are flat-out wrong.  They all show individual
data structure fields of 4B 0, rather than the array of 5 I 0 elements.
Also, some manuals say you have to have the same number as the total number
of fields, and other manuals say the same number as null-capable fields.
>From your example below, it seems to be All fields.

I have gotten the same error at other times which made absolutely no sense
at all.  For example, in one procedure where I am returning multiple
records, I get the SQL5011 if I don't have a prefix keyword on the multiple
occurrance ds.  With the prefix keyword, the precompiler accepts it and it
runs fine.  Of course, then I have to go prefix all the field names to make
it work.  On other procedures just like it, no problem at all without a
prefix.  Do you know of any PTF's required for the precompiler (V4R3)?  The
only thing I can figure is something flaky about the precompiler.

At least I'm glad to find out it actually does work for someone.  You're the
first one I've found actually doing multiple record Fetch's.  Now I just
have to find out what's different on my machine.  Thanks for your examples.
I'll keep trying.