  • Subject: Re: Eval Exception Error Trapping
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:07:16 -0400

Hans:

boldt@ca.ibm.com wrote:

> 1) What do you normally do in a *PSSR?  Do you do more than
>    DUMP and give the user a "submit an APAR" message?

Most of the time, the graceful exit.  Currently use QMHMOVPM and return to the
called cl program for it to display the message and send a message to the
"idiot"
(me).

> 2) If you return back into the program, where do you normally
>    resume processing?  Also, how do you distinguish between
>    expected and unexpected exceptions?

Sometimes *GETIN or *DETL.  Of course, this is useless if program is not doing
rpg
fixed cycle.

> 3) In what situations would you use a *CONTINUE option on the
>    ENDSR?

Like a divide overflow,  record locks,  receiver variable length not sufficient
etc.    anybody heard of 10000.0001 and eval?  I am sure there are more
situations,
but *CONTINUE leaves the control of the error in our hands.   *GETIN, *TOTC,
*DETL,
*CANCL  etc. are just inflexible.  Give me the *CONTINUE and an updated PSDS on
the
error and I can take care of myself.  PSDS does have some vague statement number
field available 8-)

--
Thank You.

Regards