  • Subject: Re: ILE RPG suggestions
  • From: "Nelson C. Smith" <ncsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:45:08 -0400

I agree about the precompiler.  I've had to virtually abandon all my /copy
members that used compiler directives to bring in only selected sections of
code.  The precompiler ignores them and brings in everything.  I've also had
to rename local variables in subprocedures because the precompiler thinks
they are doubly defined.  Also, if you declare a cursor, for example, in one
subroutine and open it in another, the subroutine with the declare better be
physically listed ahead of the subroutine with the open, or the precompiler
thinks it is out of order even though you call them in the right order, and
on and on...

I haven't been able to return the cursor to a calling program, but I have
been able to return multiple record sets by using a pointer to a multiple
occurrance data structure in the calling program.