  • Subject: RE: RPG LANGUAGE UNDER DOS/WINDOWS
  • From: "Dias, Armando" <Adias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 10:30:29 -0400

The following are the companies that I know presently offers RPG
compiler for DOS/WINDOWS:

(Their products are extremely expensive, about $3,000 for a complete
package or the recent Desktop/400 that they offer sells for about $600
if you are from an accredited learning Institution or $900 or so for
regular customers.  Their products are superb and I don't think you will
regret purchasing from them.  I have friends who had their product, the
BABY 36 and they told me that the product mimics the System 36 almost
100%.)

California Software Products
1-800-841-1532
http://www.calsw.com

-----------------
Lattice
http://www.lattice.com
(Sorry, I do not know the phone , but the web site should give you very
good guidance)

(Lattice offers a variety of products for the PC environment.  Unlike
the previous one, their prices are NOT so steep, but still you have to
pay a heftly amount - as their RPG400D or whatever they call cost about
$2000 and it is NOT so complete as the one offered by CSP - that is the
CL compiler is missing AND many things are done through regular DOS
batch files to MIMIC the situation.   Call them and ask them for all the
questions before deciding to invest in it.  They DO NOT offer any
product that costs around the $600 range UNLESS you have an older
version of their RPG II product and wants to upgrade it. This is what
they told me 3 months ago - I hope the above still hold and that the
pricing scheme is almost the same)

---------------

Trident software
http://www.tiac.net/users/zone/trident
or
http://www.trident.com
1-203-877-4331 and leave a message for Lisa Viera

(This is a TERRIBLE company.  They are lucky to be still in business.
Their product support is one of the WORST, I can tell you.  I tried to
get some information from them, and all I got was a voice mail directing
me to leave a message to Ms. Lisa Viera (who by the way doesn't seem
enthusiatically enough to return your call).  I waited for almost 3
weeks and I still haven't got anything from her except the last time she
returned my e-mail ONLY to tell me the prices of their products AFTER I
consistently e-mail to her saying that I am INTERESTED in purchasing
their products!  I wanted to ask her about the product specifics BUT in
vain.

I understand that Trident's RPG compiler is more textbook specific -
i.e., it is geared towards the text RPG 400 by Judy Yeager.  That
product costs about $90 and DOESN'T allow you to recompile the DDS etc.
It is only good for learning purposes.

They have a full version of the product that costs about $800 but
judging from the POOR customer support, etc., I would invest my money in
the products offered by CSP or Lattice.  Be CAREFUL and DON'T get ripped
off by this COMPANY.)

Long time ago, when I was in College, I heard of a company called LPI
with head offices in Netherlands.  They offer a wide variety of
compilers for PC, VAX machines, etc.  One of the products was LPI-RPGII.
I am not sure whether they have updated to RPG-III  or even to RPG-400.
I am not even sure of their existence.
Good luck

Sincerely
Armando G. Dias