  • Subject: RE: conversion to ILE(passing large fields to a procedure)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:05:44 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Berendt [mailto:rob@dekko.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 6:45 AM
To: RPG400-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: conversion to ILE

Big snip-----

Be careful about generic string handling routines.  They can be a real
performance
killer.  I tried making a 'caps' procedure.  The procedure supported strings
up to
32,702.  It used the xlate function to do it.  You could do the following:
eval field = caps('abc')
However that took a LONG time to run because it had to check all 32,702
characters.
Better to do the xlate function in your own program.

I've noticed the same problem using *VARSIZE on parameter definitions even
with wimpy 256 byte fields.  I played around with various forms of the
binary search and was amazed at the performance difference between *VARSIZE
and the non generic version with parms tailored to the size of the search
argument.  If I recall, the number of CPU seconds was greater by about a
factor of a thousand for the generic version that used the identical
algorithm as the search argument specific procedure.  (The C binary search
was the fastest although the difference wouldn't be appreciable unless you
were making tens of thousands of calls or more.)