  • Subject: RE: Packed Data in an Alpha Field???
  • From: Ragnar Torfi Geirsson <Rato@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:15:18 -0000

In DBU hit F9 (Char/Hex) to select Hexadecimal mode.  Then you can read the
packed value.
In DSPPFM hitting F10 does the same thing.

One of many ways to convert back to proper format is to create another
Physical file with the same layout except the wrong Alpha field defined as
Packed.  Then copy from the wrong one to the new one using FMTOPT(*NOCHK)
.  The packed field must be exactly the same length as the packed data in
the Alpha field for this to work.  If the Alpha field is longer, then an
alpha field must be declared for the empty space(s).

Using data structure in RPG could also do the trick.

Good luck

Ragnar Torfi Geirsson
Sjova-Almennar tryggingar hf.
Reykjavik