using v3r2m0,
i have a piece of code as shown below:

 *
 * procedure interface
Dems9125r         pi                  opdesc
D parlogdte                           like(loglogdte)  const
D parlogtim                           like(loglogtim)  const
D parmsgid                           like(logmsgid)   const
D partousr                             like(logtousr)   const
D                                            options(*omit:*nopass)
D partolan                            like(logtolan)   const
D                                           options(*omit:*nopass)
D parfrmusr                          like(logfrmusr)  const
D                                           options(*omit:*nopass)
D parfrmlan                          like(logfrmlan)  const
D                                           options(*omit:*nopass)

 *
 * format 'send to' user
 *
0010 C                   if        %parms > 3
0020 C                   if        %addr(partousr) <> *null
0030 C                   eval      logtousr  = partousr
0040 C                   endif
0050 C                   endif

the problem is that i get a compile-time error  "*RNF7421 30  Operands
are not compatible with the type of operator." pointing to line 0020
above (line numbers are my own, for illustration only).

if i take out the CONST keyword for the parm 'partousr' in the procedure
interface shown above, the program compiles.

parm 'partousr' is a 10 long character field.  i would like the option of
NOT having to pass it, but if i do pass it i don't want it changed.  can
someone explain to me why this doesn't compile?

thank you.