  • Subject: RE: RPG compiler Problem.... ????
  • From: Ragnar Torfi Geirsson <Rato@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:11:49 -0000

When I see a "problem" like this I am reminded of an old programmer I met
once.
He was writing a program which needed 48 identical fields to contain numeric
values.

A portion of the program looked somewhat like this:

        COLOR           IFEQ    1
                                ADD     1               CNT01
                                ENDIF
        COLOR           IFEQ    2
                                ADD     1               CNT02
                                and on and on to 48

Feeling bad about the programmer being left behind, I taught him about
ARRAYS.  He was delighted and decided to put his new knowledge into use.

Few hours later I checked up on him to see how things were going.  Yes, he
was using arrays!  Now the code looked more like this.

        COLOR           IFEQ    1
                                ADD     1               CNT,01
                                ENDIF
        COLOR           IFEQ    2
                                ADD     1               CNT,02
                                and on and on to 48

My teachings had only added one line to his program, the definition of the
array.

A program massing 40000 lines must be lacking Do loops, Arrays, or sub
programs to be called.  There must be a way to reconstruct such monsters to
include reusable subroutines and such.
Parameters can be passed within Data structure.

Editing and maintaining such program must be virtually impossible.  How big
would the compiled object be?
Using smaller objects can make the whole application easier to maintain.
What is this program supposed to do anyway?
At least it apperars to be pretty well documented with comments!