  • Subject: Re: RE: Opdesc not working for arrays.
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:05:27 -0600

Paul,

Thanks,  I missed the part about arrays and tables.  I should have read that
more carefully.  You are right that it is not supposed to work for data
structures.  I had forgotten the reason why we code the following.  It is now
second nature.

     DpEdtFldRcd       S               *   INZ(%ADDR(EdtFldRcdDS))
     DEdtFldRcd        S                   LIKE(EdtFldRcdDS) BASED(pEdtFldRcd)
     DEdtFldRcdDS    E DS                  EXTNAME(SOEdtFld) INZ PREFIX(EdtFld_)

I have heard the developers in Rochester hold the key to removing all of those
ridiculous restrictions on operational descriptors.  I can't see why it would
be so difficult to support numeric fields, data structure, and arrays when I
can code a work around so easily (except for CONST fields).  I really don't
understand why I don't get a compile warning when I try to use *VARSIZE with
OPDESC for an array, etc.

Thanks,

David Morris

>>> Paul Tuohy <tuohyp@ibm.net> 06/23 10:38 AM >>>
David, the following snip is from the ILE RPG/400 Programmer's Guide for
V3R7. Section 2.6.3.2 Using Operational Descriptors. I don't know if it has
changed for V4, but according to this, it shouldn't work for data
structures either!

Paul Tuohy