  • Subject: Public Software Development
  • From: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 00:09:31 -0500

Folks:

I'd like to throw an idea into the field to see what people think...

As some of you know, the Free Software Foundation and the GNU project exist
(in the UNIX world) to create and enhance utility & application software
for various sytems.  Linux, the operating system MIDRANGE dot COM runs
under, is a perfect example... All the software involved in running this
system, and all it's lists, was obtained on the internet for free.

While the AS/400 is not in need of the basic system administration &
maintenance that the GNU / FSF projects have created (maybe it does?) ...
there is a lot of system administration and programming talant in this
group ... perhaps some folks would be interested in coloborating on a few
projects.

The underlying premis of such a project would be, however, that any
software developed would be distributed FREE in source code form.  A
license agreement document would specify that if it is distributed, in pure
of modified form, that the source code be included... etc...  If desired,
I'll bet that the software could be distributed under the moniker of the
Free Software Foundation.

Now, I don't have time to organize this project... but would be more than
happy to host an online forum (mailing list) for the formation and
coordination of such an endevor.

Anyway, that's my thought... whatcha think?

David
SysAdmin, MIDRANGE dot COM