Vern, your post cleared it up.

NOOP is a client command.

When I connect from our IBM i to their Windows FTP server, NOOP works and
!REM does not work.

When I connect from my Windows desktop to their Windows FTP server, !REM
works and NOOP does not work.

So NOOP it is.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Jeff

Maybe try a couple things - the first should tell you what subcommands are
available on the remote FTP server -

quote help

You will get different results from different servers, but you should at
least get a list of ___server___ subcommands.

Here is an example when the "remote" server is loopback - the IBM i itself:

quote help
214-Server-FTP commands follow:
214-Unsupported commands marked with an *.
214-ABOR, ACCT*, ADDM, ADDV, ALLO*, APPE, AUTH, CDUP, CRTL, CRTP, CRTS,
214-CWD, DELE, DLTF, DLTL, EPRT, EPSV, FEAT, HELP, LIST, MKD, MODE,
214-NLST, NOOP, OPTS, PASS, PASV, PBSZ, PORT, PROT, PWD, QUIT, RCMD,
214-REIN, REST*, RETR, RMD, RNFR, RNTO, SITE, STAT, STOR, STOU, STRU,
214-SYST, TIME, TYPE, USER, XCUP, XCWD, XMKD.

quote is used to execute a server subcommand - so I see that NOOP is in
the list of supported commands (no asterisk).

So running quote noop in the client does this -

quote noop
200 OK.

NOOP is also a ___client___ subcommand, as just running it shows -

noop
200 OK.

And the following also worked in the IBM i FTP client -

noop /* this is a comment */
200 OK.

This last subcommand probably should not even be sent to the remote FTP
server - I can't guarantee that, but I believe it is the case. But we do
get a return code, and I don't know from which server it comes.

One could also do something like this -

quote rcmd /* this is a comment */
250 Command /* this is a comment */ successful.

this tries to use rcmd to run the "comment" on the remote server - the
return will likely vary but will do nothing on the far end.

rcmd is not supported on every system, it is a security hole - but in any
case it should be TRIED - so your script will have the comment and your
output might have some kind of error message that can be ignored.

HTH
Vern