My admittedly dated experience with USB WiFi adapters is that on Windows XP
the drivers didn't load until the user signed in which can hamper
functionality for some things. For instance, update checkers that run at
startup may run before the adapter driver has loaded & connected making the
update check always fail. On Windows Vista/7/8 this is not a problem.

Another alternative to WiFi would be Powerline networking which runs
Ethernet over the building's power line. Speeds are 200Mbps and up and you
can do a combination of wired & wireless clients as needed.
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline.