I think YMMV on that depending on the hardware.

The first Android I had was an HTC Hero. It only got a couple of point
upgrades (like 2.0 to 2.1) in the 2 years I had it. The HTC Evo 3D I now
have started at 2.x and has upgraded aseveral times to where it's now at
4.0.3. Since it's obsolete I don't expect it to go much farther.