I sorta understand that explanation, John. What I was getting at, though,
is that most of the A-V products are *more* than A-V. They have firewall
components, spam email filters, safe web surfing, etc.

And it's gotta be complicated to handle all of those things. I know that my
company uses AVG (don't know if it's the free or pay version) at all of our
retail outlets. Those outlets sign on to the System i a couple of times a
day. Occasionally, the outlet is unable to attach (some kind of sockets
error), but, if I VNC to the store, turn off the firewall, start PC5250
emulation, and then restart the firewall everything is fine for a few days,
weeks, or whatever.

At a previous employer, we had a SonicWall firewall (and probably a few
other components to it). Boy, my boss and I got lost trying to set the
rules on it so that I could download PTFs via Download Director or HTTP.
Fortunately, if I initiated the download via FTP from the System i,
everything was fine; guess the appliance didn't care if the FTP was
initiated from inside the firewall.

On the other hand, the System i seems to handle security in such a way that
I never even notice it - until someone tries to violate it.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Even when a man is listening, he's gonna get it wrong.