Saving time, miles, and gas is good, but more importantly, the GPS should possibly help to avoid this:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3499820/slow_truck_hits_the_bridge/

- sjl

Mike wrote:
This is along the lines of my thinking. There are GPS units that can
calculate the best route for a truck. Load the points and it should map out
a route that saves the most time and miles.

Jim wrote:
Garmin makes a GPS specifically for trucks with the truck routes
identified. I believe there are states were the use of a truck enabled
GPS is written into law for commercial vehicles, ( New York comes to
mind right away due to the bridges etc. )

It is a higher cost unit but not significantly so.

Jeff wrote:
> Thanks, David.
> It's a fixed set of 258 addresses. The deliveries will vary by day and
> week (ie, not a set "route"). Our idea is a 1-time upload to the GPS.
> During the actual delivering, if the driver needs directions to the
next delivery location, simply bring it up and away we go. After a couple of