On 26-Jan-2012 07:47 , daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I received a call from a user at a remote site saying that they were
getting sideways printing from their queries this morning. He sent
me a copy of one and each character is sideways, not each page. PC
printing is OK. It's a Xerox 5500. Nothing has changed on the
system. My feeling is that it's a setting on the printer but haven't
found anything yet. Ideas?

Does "sideways" possibly mean landscape versus portrait, and the user expects the latter?

Does "queries" refer to Query/400 spooled output? That query utility modifies the font and CPI attributes [irrespective of those attributes in the printer file] in some cases, requiring an OVRPRTF to [en]force desired settings for the SPLF; and IIRC with the defaulted page rotation of *AUTO, the effect in my experience is landscape orientation\rotation.

Or does printed "sideways" on the page mean, given a string 'ABC', that each character is rotated [counter]clockwise 90º and printed left-to-right across the top of the page. That is probably a font issue.

Regards, Chuck