The iPod Touch is pretty expensive ... it is actually more expensive than
an iPhone because there is no service to subsidize it. Check the payback of
the device versus the data plan, you will be surprised when you work the
numbers. That said, eBay and CraigsList are good sources for used ones.
Caveat Emptor ...

What it can do ...
* Keep a ton of music, and play it pretty well.
* Play videos and games, again amazingly well.
* Access the internet via wifi
* text messages (when it can get the internet) using an internet text
program such as Text Free
* Phone calls using Skype and other VoIP programs (when it can get the
internet)

What it can't do ...
* Phone calls without the internet.
* Text messages without the internet.

As noted by others, there are some really nice Android phones with good
screens and essentially equivalent functions to the iPhone. There are also
lots of keyboard choices, and some pretty good "all you can eat" data
plans. If I were you, I would strongly consider one.

---------
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Illegitimi non carborundum"