I'm not familiar with the "nightly versions" of TB and Lightning.
There's nothing stuck in the OutBox.
I'll have to check the SMTP server setting, but I certainly did not make any
changes to it - that I'm aware of. I'm sure no one else did; one minute
TBird was receiving and sending emails; the next minute sending went south,
receiving still works. The fact that it can receive tells me (not that I'm
an expert) that the server is set up correctly.
I started sending at 1400 on Saturday, went home. It was still trying to
send at 0830 on Sunday.
I even tried to actually attach a small text file to an email. I let that
one run for about an hour before I killed it.

I have TBird 7.0.1 running on another PC in the same home office (actually
my little sister's place). It's running fine. Which is another option: Use
MozBack to save it and restore it to the errant PC. The only real thing
that I would miss is the addresses that I have added since the last time I
ported it, but I have them saved to a CSV file.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
To understand is not necessarily to pardon, but there is no harm in trying
to understand. -F.D.H. Kitto
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN