From: <GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 7:50 PM
Subject: [PCTECH] Anyone check their Windows Updates lately ?

I'm on XP-Pro SP3 here at work.

In the past I've always had WU set to "Notify but don't down load or
install". That was the chosen option since sometimes WU would actually
shut down after updates, and I rely on RDP so I want my pc to be up and
available 24x7.

This past week I read where MS released their biggest yet patch. At home
on 7-Pro I was notified and I down loaded and installed it.

But today at the office when I returned from lunch I found that my pc had
blue screened (that's what windows said it did; ie "recover from a serious
error") and it looks like it rebooted. When I left the office I (like I
always do) just locked the pc.

So after logging on, for some reason I went to check the control panel app
for WU and found that it was set (not by group policy, I checked with the
admins) to Automatically check, down load and install every day at 3:00
am.

So for grins I fired up an up to date IE7 and went to check for windows
updates, and lo and behold there were 84 critical updates!

I went to my colleagues who use Win-7 and they also had been set to
Automatic, and one had 54 updates waiting on the WU site!

Anyone else experiencing this behavior, or have any ideas of what's going
on?

Regards, Jerry