Facebook is struggling to keep up with the load placed upon it. Currently, there are around 200 million people using facebook. Think about that number, for a moment.

To put this into perspective a little bit... here's a list of the world's countries by population:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

Facebook isn't a country, obviously. But if it were, it'd be the 5th largest country in the world! More than triple the size of the United Kingdom or France. That's a LOT of people to try to handle at once.

That said, I'm not having the long delays you are having. I sometimes have to wait 30 seconds for a click... but never anything near an hour. I agree that hour delays would make a site completely unusable.

But they're constantly working to upgrade their systems to handle the loads.

Also, keep in mind that many of the applications on facebook are hosted by 3rd-parties. So if you are having trouble with an app -- for example, if Mafia Wars is slow, it's probably not Facebook's fault, but rather Zynga (or whomever hosts the app you're struggling with.)

Booth Martin wrote:
At least for me, lag times yesterday and today have been up to an hour, and that seems unusable by any measure.