My son and 2 of our sales reps have Dell D830's for about 18 months
now. They all love them to death.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM, <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Even if your current laptop is dying take a little time and decide what
features are important to you.  That will help narrow the field.  When I
bought my Dell Latitude D830 two years ago I decided that a non-glare
screen was important because I would be using it in conditions where I
didn't control the lighting.  Dell seemed to be the only company offering
that option.  I also didn't care for laptops with cables that plug into
the side rather than the back for times when I wanted to plug in an
external monitor/projector, cat-5 network, power, etc.  I also checked on
reports of some that tend to run hot after being on awhile.  Today's
laptops have rectangular screens.  If your old one has a square screen you
may want to consider the vertical screen size in addition to the
horizontal.  You may also want to think about CPU horsepower, memory, etc.
in case you want it to run Windows 7.

My D830 has been rock-solid, looks nice, and I love it to death.  I'm not
claiming that Dells are perfect but mine has been everything that I was
looking for.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

Jim Essinger <dilbernator@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/16/2009 07:19 PM
Please respond to
PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[PCTECH] Wanted - laptop brand opinions and experiences

My IBM ThinkPad is dying.  The backlight or display is going out on me,
and
I am trying to decide if it would be best to replace or repair.  I know
that
the cost of repair - if I do it myself - will be around $250.  The
ThinkPad
is about 4 to 5 years old, and I think it is slow when running most of the
software.  It is used to run Adobe Pro, do email via browser (gmail)
maintain a few web sites for non profit groups, and other miscellaneous
things.  This is my main home PC, but I travel enough, and need to have
access to a computer and the web when I do, that a laptop makes sense.

What brands of laptops would you recommend?  I have only really
experienced
the IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPad for the last 8 to 10 years, as my job has
supplied me with one.  What kind of features should I look for?  I know
that
Lenovo can be expensive, but is the extra cost worth the value of the
Lenovo
ThinkPad now?  Any other thoughts or suggestions that I have not asked?

Your insight is valuable

Thanks!

Jim
--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
list