Hi

Access 2007 has a "feature" that prevents you doing updates until you've
clicked a button - something like UAC that's what I was asking about. It
will get in the way when trying to bulk updates and the like but not when
you are editing a table directly. When I start I get a message saying
certain content in the database is disabled.

I can only presume your SQL statement is incorrect is you are not getting
that message.

I just created an update query in access to update a column in a table from
another table. The resulting SQL as as follows:

UPDATE NewProducts
INNER JOIN ProductCategory
ON NewProducts.ProductCode = ProductCategory.ProductCode
SET NewProducts.[Category] = [ProductCategory].[Category];

Maybe that will help you a bit more.

I've had come challenges getting SQL syntax exactly right for Access before
- I don't know whether that is me or Access - but I do find the Query
designed helpful for generating the right SQL.

Regards
Evan Harris