Walden H. Leverich skrev:
Unless you insist on blaming Microsoft for not emulating 32-bit Windows well enough so that 64-bit would not be a new platform

I'm curious what the problem here is, especially w/a Java app which is abstracted from the underlying machine by the JVM. Feel free to post the answer(s) on the PC-TECH list since we are moving away from web-based here.

(trying the news interface, exciting).

WSDCi and RDI and friends are all based on Eclipse, and Eclipse use platform specific code...

The issue is that Eclipse use SWT instead of Swing to provide the graphics layer, and that - as far as I know - SWT uses JNI to call native code to provide a native look and feel. JNI means platform dependent code, and that you basically need to maintain SWT for each platform Eclipse needs to run on. This hits e.g. the OpenSolaris folks using the x86 platform, since nobody does that (for some reason Sun doesn't like Eclipse much), and here it hits the Windows64 folks since apparently the Windows32 emulation in Windows64 is different enough to give Eclipse problems.

Stuff like Netbeans should work quite out of the box just if the JVM is Sun-like enough (which is why Netbeans *almost* works on the i) because it is based on Swing, but if your platform is not supported you are lost, which is most likely why the AIX version of Eclipse does not work on the i.