I'll jump in.

I have been using the ReadyNAS Duo for the last couple of months. It is a Linux box in a nice small form factor. Not hot swapable for the drives on this model. It came with a single 500GB and I added a 2nd drive, giving 461GB of mirror drive space. Primarily used for storing music, videos, Lenovo ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery images and the Software install programs. And it is only 55% full.

Direct drive mapping works well, with fine performance for about 4 users.
The iTunes Server used to work fine until the iTunes was updated to v8. Now the server portion is broken, but it still works as an added library into iTunes.

Quiet, compact and no fans. Work for me and the price was a total of about $230 for the setup, but my company buys from the distributors.

Just FYI

Fritz Hayes

David Gibbs wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
Any updates on this? I'm still looking into various things, including building my own. However, most enclosures don't have easy access hot swap, although this one looks interesting:

Still mulling ... the Readynas devices do have hot swap though.

david