sjl wrote:
I still don't understand the love affair that people have with the iPhone.
I have absolutely no need to browse the internet on my telephone - the
screen is waaaay too small to be useful to me.

To each his own, I guess. Both my wife and I find the iPhone darn handy. I particularly like the email functionality. True, the screen is small ... but for casual browsing, it's more than sufficient.

On the other hand, I use my
laptop extensively via wireless internet connections.

I do to ... but I don't keep my laptop in my pocket and I certainly don't take it with me everywhere I go.

AFAIK, most mobile phones these days can only make internet connections on
networks such as at&t's EDGE network, which is limited to approximately 100
kb/s download speed.
I learned only a couple of weeks ago that certain other telephone
makes/models can operate at 3G or HSDPA speeds when tethered, making them as
much as 10 times faster than phones such as the iPhone or the Motorola Razr,
both of which are limited to EDGE speeds.

Depends on the device ... newer iPhones can do 3G if the service is available. My iPhone can only do EDGE.

In addition, you can simultaneously use the tethered telephone for voice
calls.

Only on 3G, IIRC, not on EDGE.

I'm experimenting right now with one of these telephones - by adding the
unlimited data plan for an extra 20.00/mo, I think I can get rid of my
dedicated 3G aircard, since it can only be used for an internet connection,
and save myself approximately 60.00 per month!

Be careful about the 'unlimited' plan ... the word 'unlimited' often means 'virtually unlimited if you are a very light user'.

david