Bob Crothers wrote:
Anybody used the USB 2.0 hard drives?

Seems like an easy and painless way to add capacity.

But how well do they work? Fast?

I use them extensively.

Both my wife and my laptops are backed up to a 500gb USB hard hard drive
via Norton Ghost.

I also use usb hard drives to backup the linux servers that run
midrange.com. I just do a tar backup to the usb hard drive and then
expire old files from the drive (so I keep the last 7 or so archives).

They aren't as fast as sata or pata drives, but for backup and archiving
purposes, they are more than adequate.

In particular, Frys.com is selling a MAXTOR 500gb USB 2.0 external
drive for $89.99 (http://shop1.frys.com/product/5382828 )

I usually get Vantec USB cases and add my own drive.

david