Dan wrote:
Any chance you have the detailed instructions for what you did
to get this to work on Ubuntu?

I'm using Ubuntu too (the newest release), and it took some research with trial and error to get it working. After downloading the *.rpm package from IBM you'll need to convert it to a *.deb package using alien and also install a few other prerequisites. I think the following commands from the terminal (under the accessories menu) will do it:

sudo alien -d -c -k -v iSeriesAccess(your version).rpm
sudo apt-get install iSeriesAccess(your version).deb

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5-3.3-dev
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
sudo apt-get install libmotif3
sudo apt-get install libxaw6
sudo apt-get install unixODBC

See setup5250 in the /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/ folder to setup a connection and session.

Using a single command (apt-get install) to download and install packages off the Internet seemed cool to me.

HTH,

Nathan.