From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:18 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] KVM ?

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Chuck Lewis <chuck.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
What are you folks using ?

We just renewed our Windows Infrastructure last month, and moved away
from using KVM switches. Instead, we have installed RSA II cards into
all our servers
(http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?brandind=
5000008&lndocid=MIGR-57091).

They allow me to configure and handle everything on a server from
anywhere. Kinda like a HMC for System x.

The only issue we had with this was that while the HMC (based on the
System x3550) has the appropriate slots to accommodate an RSA II card,
it is not supported (I'd wager it'd still work, but this is
production). So the only thing left in our Server Room with a real
Keyboard and Mouse is the HMC.

Previously, we used IBM KVM Switches (Manufactured by Avocent). They
have a modular System, allowing you to plugin DVI, PS/2, USB, VGA
extension cables. This made it a breeze to accommodate new servers
that no longer had the legacy PS/2 ports. As such, we were very
pleased with it.

However, for full remoting using RSA adapters or similar equipment
(e.G. HP's iLO, DELL DRAC) is the better choice. If you do not need
remote access, a KVM Switch will probably be cheaper.