Most excellent, Peter. I haven't installed Wine on the Eee, mostly because I don't need it yet. It already comes with Remote Desktop, which includes a VNC client and server. I was thrilled to find out I had a built in VNC client (although looking at a 1900x1200 desktop from an 800x480 VNC client is no fun).

The small screen size of the Eee is going to limit the usefulness of many Windows packages, but we'll see. But what REALLY intrigues me about the Eee is that from my reading it seems that if I really need a Windows application I can install Windows XP on an SDHC chip and boot from it. I'll be interested to see that. I also have an 8GB virtual image of Windows 2000 with RDi installed; I'll be interested to see if that runs on the Eee, but first I have to get the VMWare server installed.

Joe
This is mainly directed to Joe Pluta, but might be of interest to anyone else trying to move from Windows to Linux.

I've been setting up a Fedora box (I'm very much a Linux beginner), and really missed some utilities I have on my Windows box. I don't remember where I heard it, but someone has managed to replicate the entire Windows API as a program that's run under Linux; they call it WINE. After installing it, it's possible in many cases to "install" a Windows program on that Linux box and have it work.

I've successfully gotten UltraVNC and PasswordSafe running on my Fedora box.

The WINE website, http://www.winehq.org/, has a list of application software that's known to work, or partially work, using WINE.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050