From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:40 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device
forTechnicalMagazines, Books and newspapers

I know what you are saying, but all you have mentioned are the "problems"
with what you are using now. Palms and PDAs like that have a small form
factor that can be hard to read. The Kindle is a larger book-sized format. I
would imagine that Amazon will open up the Kindle more within a year.

eBooks (more specifically ebooks from the big publishers) are a new
technology. Just like the MPAA and the RIAA, the book industry is going to
wrap the books in DRM so they can attempt to keep their existing business
model. I am going to take a guess that within a couple years a standard will
come out that all eBook readers will work with. If they don't, the
technology will die (or be taken over by pirates).

I won't be buying any eBook reader for a while yet because of these issues.
The second gen of the Sony eBook reader supports PDF and eInk (or whatever
they call it) will get better and eventually support color.Did you have
color monitors 30 years ago? No.

It is something to be watched carefully, and unless you are an early
adopter, it should be avoided for a while yet.