Keith Carpenter wrote:
My web host offers Courier IMAP (maildir) for email access. I haven't left a lot of mail on their server to be able to get a good gauge on large folder performance, but it usually seems faster than GMail's IMAP server. Not a very objective comparison, but given that GMail is a free
service, I'm not complaining.
I run my mail on a VMWare appliance that I built myself. It was actually a pretty interesting process. And now, I can back up my mail server by just copying the VMWare instance (although as David Gibbs pointed out to me, it's still a good idea to back up the mail as well, because that way if the VMWare backup instance gets corrupted, you still have mail).

But interestingly I tried to send an 8MB ZIP file to someone and Postfix wouldn't let me do it, saying my attachment was over the limit. But the limit was 10MB! So I was very confused. I upped it to 50MB just for fun, and then I found out the issue: when the ZIP file is converted to a mail message, it has to use the mail encoding, and that adds about 50% to a ZIP file. My ZIP file was 11MB once it was encoded.

Very interesting, this mail stuff.

Joe