In the past I've done dual monitors with two cards and with a single card
that supports two monitors. The single card was a LOT easier. I love
dual monitors for video editing. It also works nicely for other tasks.
I've never tried it at work with WDSC. I have, however, voluntarily gone
stepped back from a 21 inch to a 17 inch monitor because I found that I
didn't need that much extra screen real estate for what I was doing.

Having said that I would also add that unless you work for yourself I
wouldn't be inclined to make personal investments in company equipment.
I'm a believer in not allowing personal software on company equipment as
well as not installing company software on home PC's for working at home.
The same goes for hardware. If the company isn't committed in the project
enough to invest in the hardware/software then they shouldn't allow you to
spend company time pursuing it either. If you have money in your personal
budget then I would recommend that you invest in your personal equipment.
This avoids potential issues of how that equipment is to be used.

Dave Parnin