Alan wrote:
This news, and the discussion, is making me rethink my having Comcast as
my broadband. I would hate to lose the fast connection, but what's a guy
to do?

Well, I was just about to recommend that you check out the
dslreports.com site to see what was available ... but I found that the
service (prequalification) had been shut down: "Prequalification APIs
from the major telcos are unavailable to third parties unless they are
also allowed to spam or direct-market you merely for enquiring after
availability."

I would check the various providers to see what they can offer ... check
Earthlink, Covad, AT&T, etc.

You might be able to get more liberal service at a better price (maybe).

AFAIK, AT&T/SBC DSL service doesn't throttle or cap the bandwidth that
they provide ... they also are pretty liberal wrt running servers (even
with out business class service).

david