From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tom Jedrzejewicz
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:51 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook,Outlook
Express e-mail

On 3/8/07, Chuck Lewis <chuck.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I understand that you are saying but look at it this way. You are a major
Outlook user and Microsoft Fan. You hear about OneCare and think, hey,
this
has to be great. You download it, install it a run it and this happens ?

I can see one getting freaked out when the problem happens.  But then
I find the fix on the web, do it, and I calm down.

There is NO WAY in the world it should have done that to one of their own
products.

You are holding Microsoft to an impossible standard.

I have run it and can't remember the results display you get because I was
clean. But you could be correct if they just ignored a OUTLOOK.PST in
their
results display :-)

Do you seriously think that the person who did the coding didn't do at
least the most basic of testing?  Do you think that they didn't test
it on an email virus, or that they ignored the missing .PST file?

This is what I am talking about when I say that I give them credit for
being professionals. You presume that they should have been able to
find the problem pre-release.  I don't.  I conclude that the
occurrence is in fact a rare, strange thing that affected a very small
fraction of the users, who happen to have a combination of factors
that was not tested.

Think about it.  If the problem impacted a significant fraction of
Windows users, it would have made the evening news.  It didn't.  If it
affected a lot of users, the article you linked would have said so.
It didn't.

And no I have not done any of that. That is what testing and user
involvement is all about.

It is so easy to jump up on one's high horse and spout these
platitudes.  These guys support millions of users running millions of
combinations of hardware, software and internet.  They make a mistake,
WHICH LOSES NO DATA AND TAKES 30 SECONDS TO UNDO, and you spew this
nonsense about "testing and user involvement".

That is what I mean by hysterical.