basically, you use vi only when you have to or really enjoy pain....or
just enough to get pico installed :)

Yep, I have not used vi for 10 years for anything significant. The
pain however is a vivid memory. vi required too much thought from this
wordstar/xedit type. The first thing I did when I found myself stuck
in the world of vi, other than learn it, was to get a copy of "The
Hessling Editor" (THE) and compile it (AIX) which was just like xedit
on the mainframe and SEU on the as/400. The mental vi toggle day to
day to another platform editor will take a toll on mere mortals.
Those of you who sincerely like vi are of a different mold and I
suppose these days you can run vi off the IFS instead of SEU. vi being
a 30 year old popular "editor style" does say a lot but....