Jon,

do you need us to pass the had so you can get a system that can actually
push that o/s out and support the devices??? I'm in for a couple of
shillings ... :)

Don in DC

 >> It seems that my disk formats are not recognized.

I think that must also have been part of my problem Jim.  When I finally
got
Debian to load I had it repartition the hard drive and now Ubuntu loads.
quite like it and the resolution was better so the next stop was to press
the magic install button!

That was when it all went wrong again - the install will not work and a
review of the web site notes that it requires 128Mb to install - which is
more than I have.

So I located xubuntu which is for smaller machines.  I have it installed
(although it took 6 hours) but it can't recognize the Ethernet card (which
is weird because ubuntu and everything else sees it with no trouble).
Result is that while it works I have no internet connection.

This is the point where I give up trying to use this old box and consign
it
to the charity shop!

I have an IBM X390 which (apart from a missing "V" key) has more
horsepower
etc so I'm going to continue my explorations with that one.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com

--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
list