On 8/23/06, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Over the years I used to have my share of issues with the "non-intuitive"
user interface of Notes.  I used to say similar things to what others have
been saying in this thread.  I think a lot of the complaints comes from
unfamiliarity.  The problem is that familiarity takes time.  In the case
of
Notes, that's more time than usual for a Windows application.  I've been
using it for at least a decade now and although I wouldn't apply the word
"cool" to it, I can say that it's not so bad once you get used to it.  If
you are only using it for e-mail then yes, it is overblown.  I think that
if they just rebuilt the client to be more of what you expect out of a
Windows application then it might be easier to feel comfortable using the
word "cool" in reference to it.  Having said that, I would be extremely
surprised if IBM did that.  Notes started out as a product of Lotus
Development, which had their own way of doing things.  I suspect that when
IBM bought the product they kept the same people and they had no incentive
to change the look and feel of the product.

Come on, drink the Kool Aid.  You can like Notes too...

What's in that Kool-Aid, Dave?  ;-)

It is strange to hear this from this community that preaches intuitiveness
and has, I'd like to believe, a common goal to *not* unnecessarily force the
user base to have to learn a new UI just because it's "cool" / "Lotus had
its own way of doing things".  Yeah, you're probably right, within a few
years I should have this Notes thing down pat.  Just to keep things exciting
in Windows-world, perhaps we should demand all software developers to create
their own distinct UI, too.

- Dan