On 7/26/06, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I did find out that if I go into the bulk folder in Yahoo and push on one
button then the next time the person sent me email it went straight into
my Inbox.  I wonder if they have an assumption that all new email is bulk
until otherwise noted?

No, that has not been my experience.  I get plenty of email from new sources
regularly and they hardly ever get flagged as spam.  Also, in my experience,
while Yahoo claims to "learn" by your manually flagging items as being spam
or not being spam, the only way to ensure specific senders don't get marked
as spam is to create a filter for them.  I'm not even sure if Yahoo has
allowed you to add an email addy to your addy book to "whitelist" that addy;
I should check that out.  Anyway, in the free Yahoo email, you are limited
to 15 filters.  Like Mark, I have been switching over to gmail, which lets
me access my accounts via a local client (Thunderbird).

I think I then did an oopsie.  On the new email in my inbox I clicked on
the spam button thinking it would move it back to bulk.  Didn't look like
it.  Now I'm worried that all new email from that person won't go to my
yahoo account because it's flagged as spam.  Now I have to figure out how
to whitelist him.

Again, not certain, but you might want to check the trash folder before you
log out of the account when you do this; it might be in there.

One thing Yahoo did that annoyed the h*ll out of me is that they had a "Not
Spam" button on the frame where you see the list of emails in the bulk
folder.  Sometimes I'll see items in the list that I know isn't spam, and
I'd be able to "check-mark" those items and click "Not Spam" to move them to
the Inbox and, in the process, hopefully "teach" Yahoo.  Not anymore; now I
have to open any item I see in the bulk folder list and click "Not Spam"
from there, a real PITA.

BTW, again not certain, but I believe the use of the bulk folder is
optional.  I think you used to be able to control whether you used it or not
via the Mail Options panel.

I'd check all this, but my employer has apparently decided to disallow all
"personal" email.  I guess they haven't figured out how to stop gmail yet.
If they do, I'll have to re-sign up for all my midrange.com lists via my
work addy, with which I am forced to use that boondongle called Lotus Notes
(sorry Rob, three months into this gig and I still can't get used it as a
mail client).

- Dan