pctech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  7. Re: Firefox Tool Bar gone... (Dan)

In case you haven't yet BTDT, I have a warning:  Don't ever, *EVER* expect
to go back to dial-up if you get broadband at home.  I set up my parent's PC
and they have dial-up; OMG, pain, THE PAIN!!  I might give up my beer before
I give up broadband.  I know, I know, hopefully I never have to make that
choice, but...

I have both DSL and dialup at home. My wife is attached DSL all the time via
DSL modem, but I use dialup at my usual PC almost exclusively. If I need a
large download, I'll usually run that through her connection and then grab it
over my home network. (She usually has better hardware than I use too.)

In any case, I regularly have a dozen or more tabs open, multiple apps (on an
old 266Mhz PC w/512MB), possibly three or more emulator sessions over VPN to
the office, plus of course MineSweeper and/or Freecell and various odd garbage.

The _major_ reason that browsing isn't a really big deal is that I don't have
QuickTime, Flash, and plugins such as those on my PC. Since getting rid of
those, lots of pages open _FAR_ faster than they used to. And generally the
only thing I've lost is banners and other ads.

When I really must see one of those pages, I use an old 'sacrifice' PC or
sometimes use the wife's.

Dialup can be responsive when you trim the fat. OTOH, I do expect to replace
the wife's DSL modem with a router to serve the house. I just haven't had the
time since I need to do it during business hours for the ISP. I have a few
technical issues that aren't suitable for after-hours support. Soon as I can
take a few good days off....

Tom Liotta