No experience with it; we don't do anything Symantec here except the
smattering of pcAnywhere when Windows Remote Desktop won't suffice.
That Symantec wouldn't be compatible across their own product lines
shows how bad their product lines have gotten (lots of complaints on
various forums like the Gripe Line ( http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/ ).

Can you put on your own software?  If so, get Kerio firewall
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm - there are free & paid
versions; the differences are on the link.  The free version is probably
sufficient.  Or get Zone Alarm, although gripes about them & their
support have been on the rise lately.

Also, do what you can to tighten down Windows in general - turn off
services you don't use like file sharing, etc.  Make sure your wireless
doesn't work on ad-hoc (peer to peer) networking; access point should be
the only way you ever use it.  Apply all security patches except the WGA
update (which was pushed as 'critical' but is really a strong-arm tactic
by MS to invalidate questionable XP installs).

I've bypassed the need for public WiFi as long as my cel phone works.
My new Treo 700p (
http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700p/?creativeID=LFB|tre
o700p_palm_os ) has EvDO; I get 600-900 Kb/s speed and 'tether' it to my
laptop.  The laptop uses it as a modem.  Use Sprint's PowerVision + a
hack to do the Phone-as-Modem cheap or use Sprint's direct
Phone-as-Modem plan (which includes PowerVision).  The PAM plan costs
more but won't violate your terms of service.  Of course, the Treo
itself can replace the laptop for some access; I can TN5250, VPN, get
email from Outlook/Exchange (or GMail or about anything else), etc.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.
V: +1-630-455-2787 F: +1-312-601-1782