pctech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Our area code is 260.  Work phone exchange is 422, home phone exchange is
>639.  Vonage says 422 can be moved, 639 cannot.  Both are local Fort Wayne
>exchanges.  Strange, huh?

I've been an Earthlink subscriber for... long time. I've wanted to use their
DSL offering since... hmmm, more than a couple years, maybe four years now.

But I can't because they insist that DSL service isn't available at my location
because my house isn't within the proper distance from a switching station.
They say that the broadband offering that they supply to my location is through
cable.

Every once in a while, I get around to contacting their support people and ask
why they keep telling me that DSL isn't available at my location even though
I've had DSL (through CenturyTel) to my house for at least two years, and why
they keep saying that cable should be used when there is no cable service along
the nearby streets (we use Dish Network).

I suspect that all such service providers use some form of geo-coded mapping
that is provided by local telcos. There's no way that Earthlink physically
surveyed utilities service in my neighborhood, so they're relying on mappings
provided by (1) CenturyTel and (2) ComCast. As it turns out, neither mapping is
accurate; so Earthlink can't provide a correct answer.

I imagine the same is true of Vonage when deciding which neighborhoods have
exchanges and/or area codes that work. If the mapping shows a switching center
(or whatever) in the right place, the info is probably usually correct.

Tom Liotta

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.